Dry Poulet Yassa
Country of origin: Senegal
Our recipe for today is this famous West African chicken dish - Poulet Yassa. Here's how to prepare it:
• 2 small boneless chicken breast halves without skin, cubed
• 1 small onion, minced
• 15 ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
• 2 limes (juice)
• 2 cloves garlic (minced)
• 1 cube of concentrated chicken, crushed (optional)
• 1tsp coriander
• 1tsp chilli powder
• 1 tsp cardamom
• 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Peanut oil or canola
• 125 ml (1/2 cup) water or chicken broth
• 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
• 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
• Salt and pepper
• In a bowl, combine chicken, onion, mustard, spices, lime juice, garlic, chicken concentrate and half of the oil (15 ml / 1 tbsp.). Let soak 10 minutes.
• In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken and marinade in the remaining oil (15 ml / 1 tbsp.).
• Add some salt and pepper.
• Add some water and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
• Add peppers and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is done and peppers al dente .
Serve with basmati rice.