We kick off our contdown to Christmas, with a particular focus on different delectable African dishes that you can easily prepare at home. Welcome to our 'Recipes for an African Christmas' journey.
For our first recipe, Kontomire Crisps from Ghana.
Kontomire Crisps (with Guacamole Dip)
Country of origin: Ghana
• 1 large taro (about 2-3 pounds)
• Salt (garlic salt, or cajun Spice)
• Oil for deep frying
• Coconut, canola or olive oil for brushing
• Cut the taro into large chunks for easy peeling.
• Peel the taro with a sharp knife. Carefully draw the paring knife down the body of the taro, being careful not to remove too much of it during the process. You may also use a potato peeler for this process if you have one.
• Look for any spoiled spots, such as bruising and discoloration in the taro as you peel. Remove the spots away with the tip of the knife.
• Wash immediately to prevent discoloration and leave them in cool water until ready to use or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
• Slice the taro thinly with the help of a slicer/mandolin for consistent results or use a peeler if you have one.
• Season with garlic salt, cajun spice or salt.
• Preheat the oven to 350°F.
• Line the baking sheets with foil and coat with cooking spray.
• Place the seasoned taro on the baking sheets in a single layer and spray lightly over them.
• Bake for about 20 minutes, turning over slices after every 10 minutes or till golden brown and crunchy.
• Serve warm or cool, or store in a sealed container for later.
• Deep fry at 350°F.
• Fry the taro slices in batches, turning once until golden brown after every 5 minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan (it will make the taro soggy and absorb excess oil).
• Using a slotted spoon, transfer the taro chips to a plate or any other kitchen container and drain on paper towels.
• Store in a sealed container or serve immediately.
• 4 ripe fresh avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 tbsp. lemon juice
• 1/2 small sweet white onion, minced
• 1 ripe roma tomato, seeded and diced
• Salt and pepper, to taste
• Mash the avocados with the lemon juice added, in a bowl.
• Add the remaining ingredients and gently stir.
• Serve in a bowl.