Two-Tone Fruity Mousse
For Sponge Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup(67g) white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup(62g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2g)baking powder
- 3/4 to 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) vanilla
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 mango
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) strawberry extract
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) mango extract
- 1 cup (236ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (473ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup (100g) white granulated sugar
- 12 ounce (340g) whipped cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup diced mangoes
- 1/2 ounces unflavored gelatin (6 gelatin sheets)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 150g of dark cooking chocolate
How to prepare:
Preheat oven to 350F.
Place the eggs and sugar into mixer bowl and whisk on high speed for 7 to 8 minutes until eggs are very voluminous and almost white in colour. In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Sift small amounts of flour into the eggs and fold gently but thoroughly after each addition. Fold in ½ a cup of diced mango and vanilla extract at the end. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tin and bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove the cake and allow it cool.
Meanwhile, prepare the mousses. Place the strawberries, strawberry extract and ½ a cup of sweetened condensed milk into a food processor and pulse into a puree; set aside. Do the same for the mango. Pour the heavy cream into a mixer bowl and add the sugar. Whisk until a light and fluffy whipped cream forms. Add the softened whipped cream cheese and whisk until smooth. Divide this into two equal parts. Fold in the strawberry puree and add the diced strawberries in one mixture and do the same to the mango
Combine the water and gelatin in a small saucepan or microwave safe cup. Heat or microwave the gelatin until it’s completely dissolved. Divide this into two and add the dissolved gelatin into the mousses folding until combined. Pour the prepared mango mousse over the cooled sponge cake and the strawberry one into a glass bowl.
Keep them refrigerated until ready to serve. For the mango mousse you are going to portion them while the strawberry one you scoop.