Home Cooking Recipe-Selected Pink Prawns with Waldorf Salad
Ingredients: Prawns & Waldorf
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 lemon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 sweet apples (cored & chopped)
- 200g pineapples (chopped)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, onions, carrots & a 1/2 tbsp of butter (white mirepoix)
- 1 cup walnuts (slightly toasted)
- 4 prawns (king prawns in a shell)
Ingredients: Balsamic Reduction
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
Ingredients: Cocktail Sauce
- 8dl mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 10g tomato paste
- 1/2 orange
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 drops tabasco sauce
- 1dl of fresh cream, whipped
- 1/2dl of any Brandy of your choice
Instructions: Prawns & Waldorf
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, salt, pepper, then stir in the apples, celery, walnuts & pineapples.
- Cut the lemon in half and add to a pot of boiling water.
- Add the prawns, mirepoix, and let it cook (unvocered) for 10-12 minutes.
- Pour the contents of the pot while using a skimmer, into a bowl of cold water.
- Peel & devein the prawns.
- Keep them cool in a container, until ready to serve.
Instructions: Cocktail Sauce
- Add all the ingredients (except for the cream) into a bowl of mayoinnaise. Mix thouroughly, taste and adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Finally, fold in the whipped cream to make a smooth sauce.
Instructions: Balsamic Reduction
- Mix the balsamic vinegar with brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boil for a minute of two, then lower the heat & simmer until the glaze is reduced by half. After 15-20 min, the glaze should coat the back of spoon.
- Place a ring mold at the centre of plate, then place the apples slices around the ring.
- Place a table spoon of waldorf salad into the ring.
- Place a piece of prawn, seasoned with pepper and cocktail sauce, on top of the salad.
- Remove the ring mold and place a celery/parsley stem on top, then add black olives and croutons.
- Spread the balsamic reduction around the plated dish.
- Serve when chilled.