Dry Poulet Yassa
Country of origin: Senegal
Our recipe for today is this famous West African chicken dish – Poulet Yassa. Here’s how to prepare it:
- 2 small boneless chicken breast halves without skin, cubed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 2 limes (juice)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cube of concentrated chicken, crushed (optional)
- 1tsp coriander
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Peanut oil or canola
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water or chicken broth
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine chicken, onion, mustard, spices, lime juice, garlic, chicken concentrate and half of the oil (15 ml / 1 tbsp.). Let soak 10 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chicken and marinade in the remaining oil (15 ml / 1 tbsp.).
- Add some salt and pepper.
- Add some water and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add peppers and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is done and peppers al dente .
Serve with basmati rice.