Country of origin: South Africa
Commonly referred to as Bunny, this South African meal is a fast food dish consisting of a hollowed out loaf of bread filled with curry.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 2.5cm piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 star anise
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1kg/2lb 2oz boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1.5cm/½in dices
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 2 large potatoes, cut in cubes (same size as the meat)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 loaves of crusty white bread, unsliced
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the spices and bay leaf until the spices sizzle.
- Add the onion and cook for 5–7 minutes until translucent.
- Stir in the curry powder and sauté for one minute, then add the tomatoes and stir to mix.
- Cook on medium heat, stirring often, until you get a ‘sauce-like’ consistency.
- Add the meat, ginger, garlic and curry leaves and 300ml/11fl oz water.
- Bring to boil then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 40-50 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, salt to taste and 200ml/7fl oz water.
- Continue simmering until the meat and potatoes are perfectly cooked (about 15 minutes).
- Stir the chopped coriander and lime juice.
- To serve, spoon into the hollows of the bread and garnish with coriander cress.